[standards-jig] very large MUC rooms

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Sep 16 17:52:44 UTC 2003

Hi David,

My feeling is that including a configuration option that does not
broadcast presence information is not that complex, but of course I'm
just a protocol geek. :) Though I see your point, it sounds like what
people want is the ability to broadcast presence only for a certain
class of users (members or perhaps those with voice), which is a little
more complicated.

But I don't think the idea of bots or listening rooms is a better way to
address this issue.

Peter

On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 05:17:27AM -0500, David Sutton wrote:
> Hmm, my first instincts about this proposal are that I'm not really
> seeing the need for such as system beyond the example you give, and can
> think of another (better?) way of handling such a setup - What I would
> do is have a bot in the room which would transmit the contents of the
> room onto the "observers".
>
> One of my worries is that the spec, as it stands, is a simple yet
> effective way of handling conferencing - If it was decided that this was
> wanted, i would suggest it needs to be a part of a seperate JEP, such as
> a 'MU-C Services' JEP (as suggested during the council voting on MU-C in
> the first place)
>
> Regards,
>
>   David
>
> On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 13:02, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> > Someone poked me offlist about the existence of very large rooms in MUC
> > (i.e., rooms with hundreds or thousands of members). The administrators
> > of such rooms may not want the room to broadcast presence for every room
> > occupant, only for occupants above a certain level, for people who are
> > being interviewed while the masses listen in, etc. So I think it would
> > be appropriate to change the JEP so that a room is not required to
> > broadcast presence for all occupants -- rather, presence should be
> > broadasted, but may not be depending on room configuration.
> >
> > Thoughts? Are there any other implications of having extremely large
> > rooms?
> >
> > Peter

Jabber Software Foundation