[standards-jig] UPDATED: JEP-0071 (XHTML-IM)

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at bnet.pl
Wed Sep 17 07:21:13 UTC 2003

On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 02:43:52PM -0500, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Version 0.8 of JEP-0071 (XHTML-IM) is now available. The changelog is as
> follows:
>
>    Changed MUST to SHOULD for support of the Style Attribute Module;
>    clarified relationship of XHTML-IM schema to XHTML schema; slight
>    text cleanup. (psa)
>
> http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0071.html

I still don't like it. This JEP has XHTML in it which suggest it is
XHTML based - and this is good. I understand it is a subset of XHTML,
but the schema should still be based on XHTML.

Now XHTML-IM includes eg. H1 and SPAN elements - just like XHTML - but
they cannot be used like in XHTML - like this:
        <h1><span style='font: bold'>Valid</span>XHTML header.</h1>

Probably there are much more such differencies, as it seems the JEP
author "invented" the schema instead of perparing XHTML-based schema
for XHTML subset. It is just as we say, that in XHTML-IM link is done
with <b/> not <a/>

I am _not_ saying we should use XHTML schema to validate XHTML-IM,
but those schemas should be as compatible as it is possible. IMHO the
best way to make XHTML-IM schema is to take XHTML schema and remove all
references to unsupported elements and attributes.

Greets,
        Jacek