[standards-jig] NEW: JEP-0120 and JEP-0121 (Metadata)

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Wed Sep 24 11:36:07 UTC 2003

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 01:53:04PM -0500, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> I've just published two new JEPs defining a metadata protocol for
> describing Jabber/XMPP entities as well as an initial registry
> submission for metadata items. These two JEPs are designed to replace,
> supersede, and otherwise obliterate the use of vCards on the network.
> Please remember that these are 0.1 versions and will likely go through
> many rounds of revision before they are ready for prime time (remember
> MUC 0.1?).

My first impression: good start.

I will probably read several times again, but one of the things that I was
curious about is: why the abbreviated names for elements? Having <ent/>
instead of <entity/> doesn't make sense too me. If it is for economical
reasons, that would be a non-argument for an XML application (think
about it). Having non-abbreviated names makes it more readable.

This also goes for names of keys. I would make rostersub into
roster_subscription, I guess.

About the RDF remarks. This feels a lot like RDF without RDF. I understand the
reasoning behind the current choice of not using RDF, and I am not really in
favour of, or against using RDF for this kind of data, although using
namespaces for objects and relations would make naming a lot easier to deal
with (conflicts, registration, etc). Maybe it is something for the successor of
this JEP family in due time.

--
Groetjes,

Ralphm