[standards-jig] UPDATED: JEP-0071 (XHTML-IM)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Sep 24 23:03:17 UTC 2003

OK, I've looked into this and it's not as straightforward as you might
hope. Modularization of XHTML in XML Schema [1] specifies how to modify
and extend XHTML in a way that conforms to Modularization of XHTML [2]
using W3 XML Schema. XHTML *requires* certain modules and these must not
be changed without using schema redefinition or substitution groups (if
you understand these, you're a better man than I). Among the required
modules are the following:

1. structure (includes <head/> and <title/>, which are out of scope for
XHTML-IM)

2. block phrasal (fine except for <address/>)

3. block structural (<div/> and <p/>, that's okay)

<samp/>, and <var/>, none of which we want)

5. inline structural (<br/> and <span/>, that's okay)

6. hypertext (i.e., <a/> and all its attributes, of which we only want
'href')

8. common attributes (none of which we want to support)

I've posted a message to the www-html mailing list about this but have
as yet received no reply:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2003Sep/0063.html

I will continue to investigate this matter and will report to the list
regarding any further findings.

Peter

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-m12n-schema/
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xhtml-modularization-20010410/