[standards-jig] JEP-115 Redundancy?

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Thu Sep 25 09:25:46 UTC 2003

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 02:54:06PM -0600, Joe Hildebrand wrote:
> I apparently need to make this clearer in the doc, but a client's
> capabilities are the union of the disco#info for node#version and
> node#ext1..n, where the client put node, ver, and ext1..n in the clientcaps
> element.  The whole thing is done so that you don't have to a) put the
> disco#info in each presence or b) query each user each time they log in,
> since the information doesn't change.
>
> The presence annotation is just a pointer to the union of the disco#info's,
> to reduce network traffic.

Right.

I think I saw this come by earlier, but I am not sure. What about having an
identifier for the current configuration of a client? I am thinking about
an opaque number or string. This would cover whatever the client feels
worth querying, and not only capabilities, but also configuration variables,
whatever those might be.

Another client can update his view of the first client when the identifier
changes, and might even revert back to a previous known configuration when the
identifier is set to an old value again. Querying is minimized and the amount
of data transmitted with the presence packet can be kept constant. If a
client is not interested in the others' configuration, it doesn't query for it.
Surely querying would be done via disco.

Would this suit your needs, Joe?

--
Groetjes,

Ralphm