[standards-jig] chat log standard?

Justin Karneges justin-jdev at affinix.com
Thu Sep 25 22:55:29 UTC 2003

I like this idea.  Email clients tend to store data in standard formats
(Maildir, mbox), so I'm sure it would be possible to do it with IM also.

I'd suggest using some XML-based format, and then clients can store additional
items and metadata through extension namespaces (if needed).  This way the
basic stuff would be compatible.  There should also be a smart way to allow
for log rotation and/or splitting of files, so that these XML files don't
grow too massive (consider I have two years worth of IM logs here...).

-Justin