[standards-jig] NEW: JEP-0120 and JEP-0121 (Metadata)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Sep 30 01:05:21 UTC 2003

I think this JEP may need to be broken into more granular pieces, so
that <info/> is in one namespace, and you can embed that into anything
you want (e.g., <command> per JEP-0050) -- some of those containers are
yet to be defined but could be the <ent> and <rel> stuff in JEP-0120.

As to RDF, I felt that the requirement of an RDF parser was simply too
heavy a burden to impose on every client (etc.) out there.

Peter

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 01:36:07PM +0200, Ralph Meijer wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 01:53:04PM -0500, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> > I've just published two new JEPs defining a metadata protocol for
> > describing Jabber/XMPP entities as well as an initial registry
> > submission for metadata items. These two JEPs are designed to replace,
> > supersede, and otherwise obliterate the use of vCards on the network.
> > Please remember that these are 0.1 versions and will likely go through
> > many rounds of revision before they are ready for prime time (remember
> > MUC 0.1?).
>
> My first impression: good start.
>
> I will probably read several times again, but one of the things that I was
> curious about is: why the abbreviated names for elements? Having <ent/>
> instead of <entity/> doesn't make sense too me. If it is for economical
> reasons, that would be a non-argument for an XML application (think
> about it). Having non-abbreviated names makes it more readable.
>
> This also goes for names of keys. I would make rostersub into
> roster_subscription, I guess.
>
> About the RDF remarks. This feels a lot like RDF without RDF. I understand the
> reasoning behind the current choice of not using RDF, and I am not really in
> favour of, or against using RDF for this kind of data, although using
> namespaces for objects and relations would make naming a lot easier to deal
> with (conflicts, registration, etc). Maybe it is something for the successor of
> this JEP family in due time.
>
> --
> Groetjes,
>
> Ralphm