[2] [2] Re:[2] [standards-jig] chat log standard?

milk miruku at bonbon.net
Tue Sep 30 11:29:42 UTC 2003

Justin Karneges <justin-jdev at affinix.com> wrote on 29/09/2003 22:53:17:

>There is nothing to say that the client cannot save history locally also.

but that's what i'm talking about; a format for local (client) storage of log files

>In my opinion, the best way to use this feature would be to always locally log
>chats, but also have the ability to 'sync' with the server, to retrieve any
>missing chats (because you were using a client on another computer earlier).

i actually think thats a great idea for a seperate jep; a function to request chat logs from the server.

>However, it should also be flexible enough that a client could browse history
>entirely online and never store anything.

of course, logging would always be completly optional and up to the user, but when the user does wish to log, at this moment in time, the files that are created
have a limited usage outside of the specific client the logs were created by (or rather, it would be a great big mess for other clients and utilities to have cross
client log compatability).

jid: milk at njs.netlab.cz
lj: user="mirukux"