[standards-jig] NEW: JEP-0120 and JEP-0121 (Metadata)

Dougal Campbell dougal at gunters.org
Tue Sep 30 15:46:41 UTC 2003

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> I think this JEP may need to be broken into more granular pieces, so
> that <info/> is in one namespace, and you can embed that into anything
> you want (e.g., <command> per JEP-0050) -- some of those containers are
> yet to be defined but could be the <ent> and <rel> stuff in JEP-0120.

In JEP-0121, Section 7, Example 2, you have:

  <iq type='result'
    from='stpeter at jabber.org'
    id='mdata2'>
    <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/metadata'>
      <ent jid='jdev at conference.jabber.org'>
      [...]

Shouldn't that be "<iq from='jdev at conference.jabber.org'>"?

Should there be some sort of way to identify the *type* of entity? The
"standard" metadata expected from a live person will be different from
that of a conference room, service, or even a bot. Let's say I take the
example given and strip it down as follows

 <iq type='result'
    from='foo at a.example.com'
    id='entity1'>
  <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/metadata'>
    <ent jid='foo at example.com'>
      <info key='DC.Subject'>Who or what am I?</info>
    </ent>
    <rel jid='bar at b.example.com'>
      <info key='muc-affil'>owner</info>
    </rel>
  </query>
 </iq>

 <iq type='result'
    from='bar at b.example.com'
    id='entity2'>
  <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/metadata'>
    <ent jid='bar at example.com'>
    <rel jid='foo at a.example.com'>
      <info key='muc-affil'>owner</info>
    </rel>
  </query>
 </iq>

Which result is from a person, and which is from the conference room he
owns? Should we define a standard (but not restricted) set of entity
types? 'person', 'service', 'bot', 'muc', etc.

Lastly, Is there any consideration for handling DC elements which are
more complex than usual, e.g. DC.coverage?

--
Ernest MacDougal Campbell III, MCP+I, MCSE <dougal at gunters.org>
http://dougal.gunters.org/             http://spam.gunters.org/