[Standards-JIG] ACTIVE: JEP-0132 (POKE)

Craig Kaes CKaes at jabber.com
Thu Apr 1 15:50:45 UTC 2004

I am personally outraged that this JEP was not put through the agreed upon
process.  It is *not* ready for prime time and should never have made it
through the comment process, much less be championed by a council member.
(Who did this, btw?)

My objections are based on:

1) Descartes' _Second Meditations on First Philosophy_, which makes the
point that I, as a thinking thing who can question his existence, must
surely exist *as a thinking thing*.  Can I trust my perceptions?
Resoundingly, *no*.  Consequently, a presence probe protocol dependent on
sensory perception is hopelessly flawed if the attempt is to know the
presence status of an individual in a true epistemological sense.

and

2) Bishop Berkeley claimed that an object cannot exist independently of our
perceiving it -- meaning that the mere act of probing initiates the very
perception that makes an individual present when, at the time of initial
probe, they may or may not have even existed.  How can this be accurate?

I could expect this of Hildy, but how could you, Peter, with your background
in philosophy have failed to address these points?

--C