[Standards-JIG] Re: [Members] Re: MOTION: JEP-0106 (JIDEscaping)

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Fri Apr 2 08:15:39 UTC 2004

> first, thanks for your answer, and sorry for the completly offtopic
> message.

Thats ok.

> On a general note, standard should always seek what's better in
> absolute, without checking too much what exists. It would often save
> people from keeping old buggy wrong thought stuffs...

I agree, which is why I want us to go with the optimal '%' standard escaping
specifier not the '#' quick fix.

> > No transport JID's do not and should not contain the user's nickname
> > that would completely break the way it all works, the transport JID
> > should only contain the encoded ID of the legacy network user,
> > introducing a nickname into the transport JID will mean it will keep
> > changing when the MSN user changes their nickname which will stop it
> > all from working as JID's for a particular user should not be changing
> > otherwise you will have to keep resubscribing to that user etc
> > (basically it wouldnt work at all).
>
> What i meant is a way to get the information. NOT to include it in jid.
> Just like people can subscribe to lots of things, I just meant there
> should be a "prefered nick". I think there is already something for
> avatars, just get a standard way to get the pref. nick.

Cool good.

> Getting it in JID would be a lot of trouble, as you said. and, it should
> stay in a "prefered" nick, and never the auto-display nick, because it
> could be confusing for user... having two people with the same nick, or
> similar close nick, unusual nicks, and so on.

IMO for usability if a user has subscribed to receive "preferred" nickname
updates it should be autodisplayed as the users nickname.

> (and yes, it shouldn't have anything to do with that jep, but i wouldn't
> know what title to set, as it is just a one idea, that might or might
> not be taken in account)

Sure its a good idea that IMO should certainly be pursued later on (pubsub
for getting a users "preferred" nickname.

Richard