[Standards-JIG] ACTIVE: JEP-0132 (POKE)

Hal Rottenberg hal at halr9000.com
Sun Apr 4 01:25:44 UTC 2004

> A new JEP has been approved by the Jabber Software Foundation
> with a status of Active:
>
> JEP-0132: Presence Obtained via Kinesthetic Excitation (POKE)
>
> http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0132.html

Wait a second here, Peter...

I think this is actually more of a JEP than you might have intended.  :)

Take the following example, poking via server:

<presence
    type='probe'
    from='romeo at montague.net/orchard'
    to='juliet at montague.net'
    id='poke1'>
  <poke xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/poke'/>
</presence>

Now what you do is have a component on the server to which users can
register poking addresses, and the service implementation can have a palette
of poke methods that it supports.  Rather than "DNA" and "taste", I'm
talking about "2-way pager", "telephone" and "SMS".  Starting to see where
I'm going?

Vytek makes a high-end solution called TelAlert
(http://www.vytek.com/products/messaging/index.htm).  If you were to hook a
Jabber POKE service in with TelAlert, TelAlert can do the page/sms/voice
(pre-recorded stuff) calls out, and it provides a means for
acknowledgements.  Have the acks sent back to the Jabber server:

<presence
    from='juliet at montague.net/chamber'
    to='romeo at montague.net/orchard'
    id='poke1'>
  <poke xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/poke'/>
</presence>

And there you go.  I'm sure that a basic implementation could be done
without TelAlert via plain emails (yuck, sounds backwards all of a sudden),
to the mail nodes of the above-mentioned pre-registered users.  I'm talking
about 1234567890 at skytel.com (pager), 1234567890 at vtext.com (SMS), those kinds
of emails.

This sounds totally doable to me, and what's more--practical.  I can see
many applications for this.

:)

Hal Rottenberg
jabber:  hal at jabber.rocks.cc