[Standards-JIG] SASL and JEP-0124

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Sun Apr 11 17:06:43 UTC 2004

On Sun, Apr 11, 2004 at 01:07:56PM +0200, Matthias Wimmer wrote:

> - STARTTLS is prohibited for http binding. Does this imply that it is
>   also not allowed to negotiate a SASL security layer?

Probably it is best to say that one SHOULD do channel encryption at the
HTTP transport layer and that an implementation MAY support the XMPP
starttls and SASL negotiations if desired, but that this is optional.

> - When enforcing the maximum polling frequency, should only be the
>   type='poll' requests counted or should I account the type='transmit'
>   requests as well?

I think only poll.

> - Is a body element with type='transmit' required to have children?

I think it must contain either an XML stanza or one of the negotiation
elements (e.g., SASL negotiation element).

> What is the difference in handling type='transmit' and type='poll'?

Effectively, the only difference is that for transmit you expect to
handle some child element, but you don't in poll. I wonder if the
distinction is all that valuable. A transmit with no child would then
really be the same as poll, no?

> - If the connection manager keeps a connection open because no stanza
>   from the server has yet arrived and the client wants to send the next
>   message ... is the client waiting for the first connection being
>   finished or does it start the next connection and the connection
>   manager is suposed to close the preceding one?

The connection from the CM to the server?

BTW, Ian is planning to submit an updated version of this JEP soon.