[Standards-JIG] Datagram flow

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Thu Apr 22 21:57:41 UTC 2004

My original version of the spec used RTP directly, before I realized that
doing so was a lot more work than necessary.

Then I learned about RTSP.  It is simple enough that you can write your own
small implementation if you wanted, but powerful enough to do everything
needed.  The Helix project uses RTSP, and so I felt this was the best layer
at which to interface with it.  We get less wheel reinvention, and at the
same time a Helix-free JEP.

jep-rtsp is only one piece of the puzzle though.  The remaining JEPs I have
planned are:
  jep-datagrams: udp flow
  jep-media: high level handshake for a stream (would use SI and jep-rtsp)
  jep-mconf: associate multiple jep-media streams together.  for two-way or
multiparty.

Although these are still up for discussion.  We might want to allow two-way in
the jep-media layer somehow.

-Justin