[Standards-JIG] Re: UPDATED: JEP-0030 (Service Discovery)

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Mon Apr 26 12:28:12 UTC 2004

> Clients use service discovery to gather information to be presented to
> users.  As it is now, that information is restricted to the name and
> the purpose (type) of the service.  Usage instructions, policies etc
> would often be desired and useful.

Ahh I see what you are getting at now, I was under the impression you wanted
to add descriptions and such to the features saying what they are, links to
the protocol doc etc (which is only useful when debugging as I said).

> > IMO this would be a waste of bandwidth as it would only be useful
> > in a handful of instances
>
> That's true.  Maybe this would be implemented better with a URL,
> possibly through jabber:x:oob.  This is indeed not the place for
> longer texts.

Yes IMO anything that gets added to the disco info must be as short as
possible, we certainly dont want the whole usage instructions or policies
etc in the disco#info, URL's to html pages IMO is the only way this kind of
information should be communicated inside disco#info otherwise it will be a
big drain on bandwidth and depending on the size could even trigger karma.

> On the contrary, IMO this feature would mainly benefit end users, and
> also server admins, who can provide the location of FAQs and forums
> instead of answering questions one at a time.

Yep I can now see it could be useful to end users, but we must be very
careful what we are adding to disco#info, as we dont want to burden this
data onto people for which it is useless, maybe we need some kind of extra
flag on the disco#info get saying that you are interested in this kind of
extended info.

Richard