[Standards-JIG] RE: [jdev] Call for Experience: JEP-0077 (In-Band Registration)

Tom Coffin tcoffin at asg.bellsouth.net
Mon Apr 26 17:31:55 UTC 2004

Hi Peter,
I definitely think it's time to get this one as part of the standards.
We've been using it in our client and server for a couple of years and
we're happy with it.
Even though we've talked about dropping an actual registration
requirement (since the users are already provisioned as part of their
ISP service), we will still use this protocol to allow them to choose
their own "cool" nicknames.

1. We've implemented JEP 77 in the BellSouth Messenger, with the
following differences:
   + We don't actually use the get stanza, since we already know what
our server expects.
   + We use a non-standard coding of the <name> field to capture first
name, last name and nick name.  We plan to use <first/>, <last/> and
<nick/> in the future.
   + We don't support the Password Change feature.  That's provisioned
out of band.
   + We don't allow users to unregister themselves.  We unregister them
as part of the provisioning flow when they drop their BellSouth Email
account.
   + And, of course, we're working with the old-style errors.

2. No problems with the protocol itself.

3. The JEP has an inconsistency in section 4.1:  Example 1 says you
request the reg info (get) anonymously, and Example 3 says the server
should tell you if you're already registered.  Without a jid, how can
the server do this?  Either:
   + The iq/get should have a jid in it (which also would allow the
server to request different information for users with different
domains, etc.) or
   + The <registered/> message could come instead of the error 409
Username Conflict.  Although, really, how can the server tell the
difference, unless you happen to send the same password?
Actually, I think this provides the same info as the Username Conflict,
and so should be dropped as redundant.

--Tom.
Server Products Architect and Team Lead
BellSouth Internet Group