[Standards-JIG] File transfer of multiple files

Tijl Houtbeckers thoutbeckers at splendo.com
Mon Dec 6 16:26:40 UTC 2004

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 11:01:34 -0500, Rottenberg, Hal <hal.rottenberg at hp.com>
wrote:

> Does anyone know the status of JEP-0135 File Sharing
> (http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0135.html)?  Or is there another
> pertinent JEP that would cover the case of sending multiple files in a
> set?
>
> I was just thinking the other day with a friend on how this could be
> done.  I thought that surely this was discussed in the past but I didn't
> find a whole lot aside from this one experimental JEP.  File Sharing
> seems to be pretty complicated as compared to my relatively simple use
> case of wanting to send metadata about multiple files during regular
> file transfer negotiation.

Maybe you could just repeat the "file" element from JEP-0096? You'd have
problems with existing client if you just repeat them now (my guess is
they'll just pick the first one or the last one, there is no way of
telling you what they'll pick), the JEP is still DRAFT but since there are
quite a few implementations now it might be too late for such a change. So
you might want to wrap your own namespace around it, and make your own SI
profile.

Something like:

<iq type='set' id='offer1' to='receiver at jabber.org/resource'>
   <si xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/si'
       id='a0'
       mime-type='???'
       profile='http://jabber.org/protocol/si/profile/multi-file-transfer'>

    <files
xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/si/profile/multi-file-stransfer'>
     <file xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/si/profile/file-transfer'
           name='test.txt'
           size='1022'/>
     <file xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/si/profile/file-transfer'
           name='test2.txt'
           size='2210'/>
    <files/>

     <feature xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/feature-neg'>
       <x xmlns='jabber:x:data' type='form'>
         <field var='stream-method' type='list-single'>
         </field>
       </x>
     </feature>
   </si>
</iq>

You'd have to think up something for the MIME-type though (didn't change
it here), but the mime-type is for the stream not the file(s). If we think
it's important files send their MIME type it should be moved to the file
element.