[Standards-JIG] Dead participants in MU-conf, JEP-0045

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Wed Dec 15 19:01:50 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 15 December 2004 04:27 pm, JD Conley wrote:
> The solution I find the most appealing from a protocol and
> implementation standpoint is to use presence probes.  However, the
> server hosting MUC should do the probing, not the MUC service itself.  A
> server should track the sender and recipient of all presence packets it
> receives.  It should have a "watchdog" system which runs occasionally
> (every 5 or 10 minutes) and probes any nodes on behalf of the original
> recipient of the presence packet.

This would be great, and it is what I was advocating also, except that it
appears to violate the protocol:
  http://www.xmpp.org/specs/rfc3921.html#presence-resp-probes

'If the user is not in the contact's roster with a subscription state of
"From", "From + Pending Out", or "Both" (as defined under Subscription
States), the contact's server MUST return a presence stanza of type "error"

So much for that idea. :(

-Justin