[Standards-JIG] Corrections to JEP-0045 text

JD Conley jconley at winfessor.com
Sat Dec 18 00:04:52 UTC 2004

> I've been reading through JEP-0045 and noticed a couple of issues with
the
> text:
>
> 5.2.2: http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0045.html#affil-change
> The table describes state transitions for the Admin affiliation.
>
> In 5.2.1, there is a note at the end of the section that states 'An
admin
> or owner MUST NOT be able to revoke moderation privileges from another
> admin or owner.'
>
> Does this mean that a user with admin affiliation cannot revoke
another
> user's admin affiliation?  If so, the transitions in the Admin row
should
> remove 'admin' from each of the transitions.

Actually this means that the moderator _role_ cannot be removed from an
admin or owner.  In MUC you are dealing with an interesting web of
privileges.  Remember that roles and affiliations are slightly different
concepts.  However they are related at times.

Even though it's not related to roles, you are correct in your
statement.  Only an owner can grant or revoke admin privileges.  Admins
generally have full reign of the role list and can also ban users.  As a
general rule an affiliation cannot do anything "bad" to someone with a
higher affiliation.

> As a minor point, I think it would be helpful to describe in the admin
> transitions row that prior to a transition from admin to outcast, the
user
> must first transition to 'none' or 'member' - same for owner.
>
> 6.8: http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0045.html#continue
> Example 50:
> The message stanzas contain two 'from' attributes.  The second
attribute
> should be 'to'.

I agree.  This was a bit confusing when I was implementing it as well.

JD