[standards-jig] JEP-0045 (MUC) number of users

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Thu Feb 12 13:45:49 UTC 2004

> > Users of public chat services often base their choice of which room to
enter on the number
> > of users in each room. However it is currently not practical for a MUC
client to offer this
> > information since JEP-0045 does not allow the client to discover the
number of users in a
> > room without entering it (and there may be a large number of rooms on
offer).

Thanks for your patience in pointing out my illegal use of the
'http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#items' namespace Jacek!! I'll swallow my
embarrassment and try again.

Jacek wrote:
> Number of occupants could be included in "name" attribute of the item,
> or in "name" attribute of some subnode.

I'd prefer to avoid misrepresenting the name attribute. How about this
response:

<iq type='result'
    from='macbeth.shakespeare.lit'
    to='hag66 at shakespeare.lit/pda'>
  <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#items'>
    <item jid='heath at macbeth.shakespeare.lit'
        name='A Lonely Heath'>
      <x xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#room'
          occupants='50'/>
    </item>
    <item jid='darkcave at macbeth.shakespeare.lit'
        name='A Dark Cave'>
      <x xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#room'
          occupants='1'/>
    </item>
  </query>
</iq>

In defence of the above, I note that the Service Discovery JEP-0030 says,
"The <item/> element should be empty; it may contain CDATA or XML data, but
such data must be ignored if an implementation does not understand it."

Is the 'http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#room' namespace appropriate?

- Ian