[standards-jig] JEP-0045 (MUC) number of users (extendingJEP-0030)

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Fri Feb 13 16:48:52 UTC 2004

On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 08:50:53AM -0700, Peter Millard wrote:
> Also consider that what you are basically doing though is reporting name-value
> pairs. Stpeter and I talked about possibly using info-bits to extend the results
> of disco#info. Using info-bits would provide a more generic framework which
> could be re-used for lots of other meta-data.
>
> This is a good discussion, but I think we need to consider using info-bits, and
> then simply defining the info-bits which would apply for TC. The reason I think
> this is better is mainly from a client's perspective (surprise, surprise :).
> When I have a browsing UI which is using disco to generate information, I don't
> want to have to teach that browse about 100 different extensions to the
> disco#info results. It would be much better to allow it to handle something
> generic (like x-data results, info-bits, etc..) and let the user figure out what
> each "column" of data means based on the context of their browsing.

If the goal is to generically present this data to the user, use x:data, that's
what it is for. Machines can also read this.

If the goal is to define just one new field for seeing the current number of
occupants, I'm still not convinced we should info bits for this. Trying to get
this discussion going (sorry stpeter) and severely summarizing my arguments, I
think XML has enough power to store meta data using namespaces and Info bits is
really only an excuse for the lack of support of element name prefixes in
current Jabber libraries.

--
Groetjes,

Ralphm