[standards-jig] UPDATED: JEP-0045 (Multi-User Chat)

JD Conley jconley at winfessor.com
Fri Feb 13 19:55:52 UTC 2004

I have to say, this is one of the better JEPs I've been through in a
while, but I've got a few nits about the rules surrounding banning
entities.

First off, throughout the banning specs, the user's bare JID is referred
to.  In fact it is stated that banning must be applied based on the
user's bare JID.  However, the JID matching rules include resources.  In
most cases I imagine you'd want to ban based on bare JID, but can you
add entities to the ban list that have resources?  That needs to be
clarified in sections 8.1/8.2, and my suggestions below would need to be
changed based on that fact.

Section 8.1 (Banning A User) says "The ban MUST be performed based on
the occupant's bare JID."  But the example uses the room JID.  In a
fully anonymous room the admin won't have the occupant's bare JID, I
think I know what is intended here.  It should say something like "The
admin issues the ban command based on the occupant's room JID, however
the service MUST map the room JID to the occupant's bare JID when
updating the ban list."

Section 8.2 (Modifying the Ban List) states:
"Note that the ban list is always based on a user's bare JID..."   But
the end of section 8.2 contains the matching rules.  So the ban list
isn't _always_ based on a user's bare JID.  Maybe it's intended to say
"Note that the ban list is always enforced based on a user's bare
JID..."?

Section 8.2 also says "To modify the list of banned JIDs, the admin
first requests the ban list by querying the room for all users with an
affiliation of 'outcast'." In the case of the ban list, we're not really
talking about users anymore, but entities.  Maybe that should say
"...querying the room for all entities with an...."

The matching rules then state "When an entity is banned from a room, an
implementation SHOULD match JIDs in the following order..."  That should
read "An implementation SHOULD determine if an entity is banned from a
room by matching JIDs in the following order..."

JD