[Standards-JIG] JEP-0045 (MUC) - IQ Stanza Semantics

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Feb 17 22:52:01 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 15:30, JD Conley wrote:
> > in the JEP.
> > >
> > > I know it seems obvious, but is it stated in the JEP anywhere?  For
> > > example: "IQ Result responses are not shown in the
> > examples, but they
> > > MUST be returned by the service."
> >
> > That's a requirement of XMPP Core. XMPP Core a dependency. We assume
> > people know how to read.
> >
> > Peter
> >

> Thanks Peter.  When you throw out insults, like "We assume people know
> how to read," you really should proof read your message before sending
> it.

Sorry, I'm a busy person and I type fast. Sometimes I make typing
mistakes. Not unheard of.

And it's not an insult. It's a simple statement of fact.

> Yes, XMPP Core IS a dependency.  That doesn't automatically mean the
> protocol that is built on it is compliant.  I just assumed that if it
> caught me off guard, even though I know how it's supposed to work (and
> how existing implementations DO work), then it wouldn't be obvious to
> someone who knows a lot less about the protocols.

People need to read the specs. If someone has gotten as far as attempting
to implement an advanced protocol like JEP-0045 and has not read the XMPP
specification, then they need to go back and understand the fundamentals.
The core specifications are there for a reason.

> I guess I'll stop posting to this list, as it seems you don't really
> want comments on the JEP documents.

I always welcome intelligent comments.