[Standards-JIG] stream feature for jabber:iq:auth?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Feb 18 00:02:50 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 16:43, David Waite wrote:
> I think it is wasted bytes;

Yeah, but they're *my* wasted bytes. ;-)

> if a client supports XMPP and understands
> stream features, it should be using SASL for authentication. Only if a
> client does not support XMPP and cannot understand stream features
> should it attempt jabber:iq:auth.

I tend to agree, although people have mentioned a few scenarios to me in
which a server might want to advertise that it supports iq:auth, or a
client might want to know that up front. I think those scenarios are
mostly edge cases (I can't remember what they are, which is why I posted
to the list), but it's nice to have the option in the protocol if you
want it or need it.