[Standards-JIG] the great infobits reversion

CORVOYSIER David FTRD/DMI/REN david.corvoysier at francetelecom.com
Tue Feb 24 14:49:03 UTC 2004

Wow ... Quite a reversion indeed !

I've read with great interest your discussion with Ralph and Jacek, and
I must admit that though I found at first the Infobits concept
attractive, I later realized that it was weaker than the already
existing XML mechanisms (I'd better be studying a little bit more the
XML concepts ...). I then think you were right to do the "infobits
reversion".

However, two questions raised during your discussion remain:

1 - Should we define a rule to explicitly say that existing XML schemas
(whenever available) should be used instead of custom Jabber datatypes
when defining Jabber extensions (this rule already exists in the Jabber
TAO, but I don't know its status) ?

2 - Will Jabber implementations be enforced in the future to provide a
better support of namespaces to allow easier extensions/conversions to
other formats ?

Last, Infobits may be dead, I still believe that we should work on vCard
replacement and extended presence ...

David

"If you never change your mind, why have one?"

(Edward De Bono)