[standards-jig] In-Band Registration and DoS protection

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Feb 24 21:31:22 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 10:08:27AM +0100, Tomasz Sterna wrote:
> Joe Hildebrand wrote:
>
> >Perhaps what is needed as a bridge is a way for the server to specify the
> >URL to go to for OOB registration.
> >
> ><iq type='result'>
> > <query xmlns='jabber:iq:register'>
> >   <x xmlns='jabber:x:oob'>
> >     <url>http://register/here</url>
> >   </x>
> > </query>
> ></iq>
> >

> I like it. I like it a lot.
> This way a client could launch a browser with a registration page
> opened, instead of opening the traditional registration window.
> I could put additional informations in the <instructions/> section, for
> older clients, but the newer would launch the registration page immediately.
>
> >Has been suggested before.
> >

> Why was it dropped?

It was a suggestion. JEP-0066 exists. JEP-0077 exists. Put the two
together. :-) It was not "dropped" because it was never documented or
recommended explicitly.

Naturally clients would need to look for this x:oob in the registration,
but that's not hard. We could add a note about it to JEP-0077.

/psa