[standards-jig] JEP-0045 (MUC) ban from all rooms

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Feb 24 22:15:36 UTC 2004

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 02:36:20AM -0000, Ian Paterson wrote:
> I think that banning a user from all rooms should be within the scope of
> this JEP (see the statement to the contrary at the end of section 8.2).
>
> JEP-0045 covers other 'service level' information (e.g. the list of rooms in
> the service).
>
> The ability to ban a user from all rooms is important. (If the user is not
> wanted in one room then, more often than not, they must be banned from all
> rooms.)
>
> If the XML that an administrator's client needs to send to the MUC server to
> ban a user from all rooms is not covered in the MUC JEP, will we create a
> new JEP especially for this purpose?

The intent has been to write a JEP for service-level administration of a
MUC service, and it seems to me that it would be good to think about how
to write a more generic protocol that could be applied to any kind of
service or server (MUC, Jabber server, file transfer proxy, etc.). It
seems to me that there would be a lot of overlap regarding requirements.

But I don't think this belongs in JEP-0045.

/psa