[standards-jig] JEP-0025

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Tue Feb 24 23:55:13 UTC 2004

Barry wrote:
> 3) JEP-25 forces both the server and client to use UTF-8 encoding
> regardless of what the HTTP headers specify. Which means that a
> developer is can be unable to use HTTP libraries that will automatically
> encode/decode the HTTP data. Also what happens when the data is sent
> through a transparent proxy that decides to use a different form of
> encoding ??

Yes. These seem to be good reasons to state that connection manager
implementations MAY accept and respond with character encodings other than
UTF-8 (and convert them to UTF-8 before processing). *Perhaps* there are
also some clients that are limited to exotic charsets (e.g. a japanese
phone).

I don't think we should insist that JEP-0124 implementations accept other
encodings though - since then we would have to specify a list of encodings
that the connection manager SHOULD support.

"Both servers and clients SHOULD ignore the HTTP Content-Type of the packets
they receive unless a non-UTF-8 charset is specified".

- Ian