[standards-jig] JEP-0025 and JEP-0124

David Waite mass at akuma.org
Wed Feb 25 01:27:02 UTC 2004

On Feb 24, 2004, at 6:14 PM, Ian Paterson wrote:

> JEP-0025 exists simply to get XMPP through firewalls. However it has
> some
> fundamental problems.
>
> Many XMPP clients are based on platforms that feature severe security
> restrictions (e.g. mobile or browser-based clients). Some cannot read
> cookies and others can only receive well-formed XML documents over
> HTTP. It
> is *impossible* to implement either JEP-0025 or a persistent TCP
> connection
> on these clients.
I assume you mean flash here. Having flash send and receive normal XMPP
over a stream is possible from what I have heard, it just involves lots
more work (and a significantly larger client download).

> JEP-0124 is a transport binding for all platforms. It offers more than
> just
> firewall traversal for native PC/Linux applications... It enables XMPP
> clients to be implemented on many more platforms.
Such as? And I don't think you mean 'XMPP clients' here, as they are
not following the XMPP-core spec.

> JEP-0025 requires that an application is installed on client
> machines. But in the real world, machines behind firewalls are often
> "locked" (e.g. in cafes, libraries and large corporations). This
> prevents
> the installation of XMPP applications  - so JEP-0025 won't help. The
> restricted XMPP clients that JEP-0124 enables are trusted. Many of
> them can
> be used without any installation whatsoever.

I've used a JEP-0025 client that required no local install, and
required no code trust to run (unless you want features like file
transfer). This was what it was designed for.

-David Waite