[standards-jig] extending disco#info result

Matthew A. Miller linuxwolf at outer-planes.net
Wed Feb 25 14:49:40 UTC 2004

Just because my software doesn't understand what to do with the
particular fields within an x:data form (other than render them) doesn't
mean I don't understand what to do with it.

Building off the examples provided so far, let's say we get the form:

    <x xmlns='jabber:x:data' type='result'>
      <field var='FORM_TYPE' type='hidden'>
        <value>http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#room</value>
      </field>
      <field var='muc#room_desc'>
        <value>The place for all good witches!</value>
      </field>
      <field var='muc#room_subject'>
        <value>Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble</value>
      </field>
      <field var='muc#room_occupants'>
        <value>3</value>
      </field>
    </x>

If my particular client turned this into some type of "properties" panel
or dialog to display to me, I would be able to tell that (in my
simpleton ways):
A)  The room is intended for all good witches
B)  They're currently burning and boiling stuff
C)  There's three "people" already there

My client may not know what to do other than display it.  However, I do
know what to do with this information, and I use it to aid me in
determining if I also want to enter the room.

If we went with "custom" structures, my client would need to understand
it in order to display it.  If my software doesn't get it, I don't
either, even though I would "get it" better than most software would.

-  LW