[standards-jig] extending disco#info result

Peter Millard me at pgmillard.com
Wed Feb 25 17:08:49 UTC 2004

Matthew A. Miller wrote:
[SNIP]
> Second, I firmly believe JEP-0004 already allows for this behavior.
[SNIP]
> However, if the consensus is that JEP-0004 needs to change to reflect
> that, that can be accomplished.

+100... IMO, JEP-0004 already allows for this usage, and should be used. As Matt
pointed out, the intent is to communicate meaningful information to the USER,
not the APPLICATION. By sending simple name-value pairs using x-data, we allow
this to happen. Client developers already have the means and experience in
interpreting this type of data, and there are no downsides. I also don't believe
the existing JEP needs to modified to allow for this type of usage.

This is more of an "implementation" detail than anything... Perhaps a note can
be added to JEP-45 to illustrate this usage. We should also probably create a
JEP which defines extending disco#info results this way.

pgm.