[Standards-JIG] Re: jabber forwarding

Joe Hildebrand JHildebrand at jabber.com
Fri Feb 27 21:18:49 UTC 2004

As I'm currently on a plane, I don't know if anyone has responded to this
yet.

One of the issues with redirection is the from address, and the careful
trouble we've gone to in the XMPP world to ensure that from is difficult to
spoof.  SMTP doesn't suffer under this restriction.

A use case:

- sender at first.example sends to original at second.example
- original has set up a forward to real at third.example
- second.example connects w/dialback or S2S SASL TO third.example
- message is sent
- error occurs, since the from address is from first.example, not
second.example

Second.example could change the from address to be a local address, but it
would have to keep a mapping for each of these back to the original senders,
and all subsequent traffic would continue to go through the redirect server.

Hm... I guess that would work, if you have a relatively small number of
forwards.  You could add a JEP-33 replyto address of the original sender (so
clients could bypass the redirect if they could), and potentially send a
redirect back to the sender.

--
Joe Hildebrand