[standards-jig] Improving network integrity

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Fri Jan 2 06:58:14 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 31 December 2003 04:12 pm, Robert Norris wrote:
> A stream feature seems like the wrong place for this - they're only
> really to add functionallity to a single stream, not to the network as a
> whole. And there's no way to do end-to-end acks this way - there's no
> guarantee that two servers in the middle will set up acks (or even
> support them).

Actually, I am speaking of a single stream.  c2s stanza acking is the only way
a client or server can be sure a message has reached the other.  Knowing that
a stanza has made it across the c2s hop would allow implementations to have
better accounting.  This is particularly useful for offline messages, where
end-to-end acking is neither possible nor desirable.  It would also allow for
more stanza delivery failures to generate proper bounce responses (useful for
all stanza types).

I'm not discounting end-to-end acking.  I think both ideas are useful, but
they serve different purposes.  I covered them both in the thread parent.

-Justin