[standards-jig] Remote controlling Jabber clients

Remko Troncon remko.troncon at cs.kuleuven.ac.be
Sun Jan 4 13:14:38 UTC 2004

Hi,

I was wondering if it would be feasible to extend Jabber with 'remote control'
messages. A user would be able to send these messages to any of his own
resources, commanding them to go to away status (and setting the status
message), go offline, ...

The reason i want this is the following:
I often forget to log out my Jabber client when going to work, and
discover this when arriving at work. The only solution for me is to log
in on my remote system, and kill my client. Some clients (such as Gaim) have
a special command-line utility to remote control the active client, but this
has a very platform-dependent implementation (and is useless on systems which
have no remote login daemon). That's why such a feature seems interesting
to me.

cheers,
Remko