[standards-jig] Remote controlling Jabber clients

Michael Poole mdpoole at troilus.org
Tue Jan 6 20:11:27 UTC 2004

"Peter Millard" writes:

> JD Conley wrote:
>>> Would it be interesting to have some sort of agreement on a
>>> standard set of basic
>>> remote-control commands, such that i can for example put one
>>> client in Away modus from
>>> another (different) client ?
>>
>> Yup.  And not just interesting but quite useful and powerful.  This
>> remote control idea should be put into a JEP.  :)
>
> Absolutely. +1.

What is the benefit of having a remote control interface (fraught with
security issues) versus having options for "normal" manipulations that
indicate operation on another resource of the same bare JID?

While I can envision some situations where you really do want remote
control of a client, if the main problem is that a user forgot to set
his status on another client, it seems simpler and more robust to have
the server make those changes.

Michael Poole