[standards-jig] Remote controlling Jabber clients

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Jan 6 20:30:37 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 03:11:27PM -0500, Michael Poole wrote:

> >> Yup.  And not just interesting but quite useful and powerful.  This
> >> remote control idea should be put into a JEP.  :)
> >
> > Absolutely. +1.
>
> What is the benefit of having a remote control interface (fraught with
> security issues) versus having options for "normal" manipulations that
> indicate operation on another resource of the same bare JID?

The client would accept remote control commands only from other
instances of your account (e.g., stpeter at jabber.org/home could perform
commands on stpeter at jabber.org/work). Naturally, if someone got control
of one of your computers or learned your password, they could play
havoc. But in that case you're screwed anyway.

> While I can envision some situations where you really do want remote
> control of a client, if the main problem is that a user forgot to set
> his status on another client, it seems simpler and more robust to have
> the server make those changes.

On what basis does the server know to make changes? Do you mean that I
would send the command to my server rather than one of my connected
clients?