[standards-jig] Infobits versus namespaced elements

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Jan 8 18:14:54 UTC 2004

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 01:22:54PM +0100, Ralph Meijer wrote:

> I have been awfully busy doing more important stuff (read: finishing my
> thesis), and as such didn't pick up on stpeter's infobits 'revolution' so
> far.
>
> In short, I don't think infobits are they way to go. Now for more detail:

For the record, I'm not convinced yet either. ;-)

I see what you're saying about namespacing. Using things like <dc:title>
would force implementations to be fully namespace-aware, which right now
they (generally) are not. Perhaps now is the time to "bite the bullet".

How would we include things like vCard items, which predate XML and
don't have a namespaced equivalent?

> B.t.w. I see many element names in several protocols use short names. Why?
> That is just like short names in code: harder to read. I'd rather have
> 'location' over 'loc', since 'locomotive' can also be shortened to 'loc'.

Well, we can't tell other people how to name their elements. And it's a
little late for us to tell the vCard people that 'loc' is potentially
ambiguous. :-)

Jabber Software Foundation