[standards-jig] XHTML-IM (JEP-0071) and in-band images

Bart van Bragt jabber at vanbragt.com
Fri Jan 9 08:34:53 UTC 2004

Tomasz Sterna wrote:
> I don't want to lose some important plaintext messages, becouse someone
> sent me a message fulled with smileys.

Just a small remark..

Most of this discussion has been about inserting smileys in messages. Do
we really want to send smileys again and again as binary filles attached
to a message? Messages are used a LOT, it's rather useless to send them
200 times in one conversation. Another (potential) problem is that they
get lost after the conversation gets stored in the archive/history of
the client (depending on the client and the way in which the smileys are
transferred).

IMO using inline smileys is not the way to go. We should use smiley
packs for that purpose.

BTW maybe it's nice to first define some scenarios here? Normally when
you design something technical you create some scenarios and then you
create a list of requirements based on those scenarios. Then you start
thinking about the technical part of the solution :D In 99% of the
discussion on this list people jump right into the technical part
without having a good understanding of the goals of the idea that they
are proposing.

Bart