[standards-jig] XHTML-IM (JEP-0071) and in-band images

Tomasz Sterna tomek at smoczy.net
Fri Jan 9 15:31:18 UTC 2004

Richard Dobson wrote:

>Problem is that you will loose the whole message not just the images, and
>those could be rather important,

So the sender will be notified it was lost and may refine it not to
include the, maybe unnecesary, image.

>also this relies on the other party
>including the extension to not store it offline so it is no real protection
>against stopping your offline storage from being filled (as people might not
>include it).

It would not harm to recommend it in JEP, would it? ;-)

But as we seem to agree to not include the images atacched to the
message, but to rely on the reciever to fetch it, the discussion of this
topic becomes academic.

>No its a MUST requirement in the file transfer protocol to support IBB.

OK. I have to dig into the SI/filetransfer JEP then...

>>OK. But we cannot define what is "small".
>>
>Why not?
>

>>What we consider "large" maybe "small" in two years, or less... ;-)
>>

>So?

The solution should be generic. Do we really want to update the JEP
every year or so?
You already mentioned problems of changing the Draft-state JEP.
It should be disco'verable or negotiatable.

"640kB should be enough for everyone."

>>Available bandwitch is growing. There appears technologies like GPRS.
>>

>So?

So it depends what is "small" wether I'm on GPRS or on DSL.
There are people complaining on the size of the <presence/> packet already.

>>Isn't this a flaw of the SI/filetransfer protocol?
>>I think the mime-type is a minimum of metadata, that should be attached
>>to the file.
>>

>But the filetransfer protocol doesnt need to be able to automatically render
>the images, all it needs to do is save it to disk, so it doesnt really need
>any kind of metadata.

But the filetransfer is about sending all kinds of data. Even the ones
that does not exist today.
What do I need a piece of binary data for, if I don't know what type of
data it contains?
Should I load it in my word-processor, or try to play it with a mediaplayer?
But I think it's a discussion for another thread.