[standards-jig] XHTML-IM (JEP-0071) and in-band images

Tomasz Sterna tomek at smoczy.net
Mon Jan 12 12:53:06 UTC 2004

Richard Dobson wrote:

>I very much doubt people would realise that was why the message wasnt
>stored, they would probably suspect server problems, also clients
>implementing this if they want to be user friendly will do the image
>transferring transparently.

So it's a client software job to handle the error-message.
And where there is no such, it's impossible to do it.

And since there is a followup on the other thread:

>Yea it is but I still dont really see the requirement for mime types in
>filetransfer because their is not the requirement to be able to
>automatically render/open the files once their are transferred

I would really discurage client authors to implement it.
It's a file-transfer job to transfer a file from one mass-storage to another
and let the operating system to handle the file according to its
configuration when user asks for it.

>also since that mime type will not be stored anywhere once the
>normal filetransfer has taken place it will get lost anyway,

That's true only on Microsoft Windows or alike platforms.
I really do have mime types (and other metadata) attached to my files
and an operating system that uses these informations to handle the file
properly.

--
Pozdrawiam
Tomasz Sterna