[standards-jig] XHTML-IM (JEP-0071) and in-band images

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Mon Jan 12 14:00:21 UTC 2004

> >Yea it is but I still dont really see the requirement for mime types in
> >filetransfer because their is not the requirement to be able to
> >automatically render/open the files once their are transferred
> >
> I would really discurage client authors to implement it.
> It's a file-transfer job to transfer a file from one mass-storage to
another
> and let the operating system to handle the file according to its
> configuration when user asks for it.

Exactly since there is no requirement for the files being sent to be
automatically rendered there is no need to have mime types in bog standard
file transfer.

> >also since that mime type will not be stored anywhere once the
> >normal filetransfer has taken place it will get lost anyway,
> >
> That's true only on Microsoft Windows or alike platforms.
> I really do have mime types (and other metadata) attached to my files
> and an operating system that uses these informations to handle the file
> properly.

AFAIK only MacOS stores mime type like information separately from the
datafiles (but even Apple are moving away from using it in some places in
MacOS X). Also according to your email headers you are running Windows XP,
so by your own admission you do not infact have an OS that attaches metadata
to files or handles it.

Richard