[standards-jig] sending mime-type during filetransfer

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Mon Jan 12 21:25:56 UTC 2004

> > It might be useful sometimes but my argument is that in the vast
majority of
> > cases unless you are automatically opening the file it will just be
saved to
> > the HDD and the mime info that was sent will be discarded, so whats the
> > point in adding it if its only going to be discarded.
> >

> First, read the document:
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2046.txt
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2045.txt
> Second, ask IETF for what ;)

Im not sure how this is going to help with the fact that the majority of
operating systems have no place to store and use this mime type/content type
that it is being proposed is sent along with the file. This mime
type/content type is only useful if it will follow the file and later when
the user tries to open it outside of the IM app use that mime type to
determine what application to open the file in, AFAIK windows and linux will
just use the file extension.

> >>  just be saved to the HDD
>
> This is not true, you can also automagically show image, play sound or
> run application. I'm using psi (not psi.exe)...

Thats not what a bog standard file transfer is tho, all it simply is is
transferring a file from one person to another which is then saved onto the
hard disc, personally due to security conciderations among other things I
would not want my IM client to automatically open the file, and anyway if
you want to do that you dont need mime types as the OS will in the majority
of cases use the file extension to handle opening the file into the default
application for that file type, I expect that is how Psi does it.

Richard