[standards-jig] sending mime-type during filetransfer

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Tue Jan 13 09:40:18 UTC 2004

> One small note here. The newer Linux kernels (2.4.x, with patches and
> 2.6.0) include support for arbitrary attributes to be attached to files,
> a feature that is often compared to Mac's separate resource and data
> forks. See  http://acl.bestbits.at/. So at least one OS platform is in
> fact moving _towards_ including information like MIME types alongside
> the files.

Just had a look it looks good, but it doesnt seem to indicate wether or not
these extended attributes are intended to be used to indicate the file type
or the application that you should use the open the file, so until this is
the case its not really quite the same as macos resource forks in terms of
what we are talking about here (defining the file type for opening it)

Richard