[standards-jig] XHTML-IM (JEP-0071) and in-band images

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Tue Jan 13 09:53:24 UTC 2004

> > No its a MUST requirement in the file transfer protocol to support IBB.
>
> It theory everything looks fine.
>
> But life had already prooven, that we cannot rely on it.
> http://devel.amessage.info/blockibb/

Sure but if its blocked then people cannot transfer files anyway, and you
just need to indicate that in a message box to the user, so they can take
action (either lobby their server admin or move servers).

Also Matthias, something you probably need to think about when blocking IBB
is how clients are going to know if they have been blocked and why, does
your patch indicate to the client that specifically use of IBB was the
reason their packet bounced?

> And since it is so big problem for server administrators, they _will_ be
> blocking and/or restricting usage of IBB.
> And since it is so big problem for server administrators, maybe it would
> be a good idea to rethink the usage of IBB.

IBB is only intended as a fallback, and if server admins want to block it
its up to them (I probably would myself due to the bandwidth costs), if
users need to use IBB they just need to move to a server that allows it,
there is no point rethinking using it (its pretty much the standard), all we
will use is the file transfer protocol in the background which will in turn
use IBB as the fallback.

Richard