[standards-jig] LAST CALL: JEP-0085 (Chat State Notifications)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Jan 14 21:17:25 UTC 2004

Last month, the members of the Jabber Software Foundation approved a
motion to proceed with a Last Call regarding JEP-0085 (Chat State
Notifications), although I did not get around to tallying up the votes
until earlier today [1]. Because there has been some controversy about
this proposal within the JSF membership and the Jabber Council, I think
it would be helpful to frame the discussion here so that we can reach
consensus during the Last Call.

JEP-0085 [2] is intended to supersede much of JEP-0022 [3] (the rest
will be superseded by JEP-0079 [4]). The authors of JEP-0085 (of
which I am one) wrote this proposal in order to solve certain perceived
problems with the "jabber:x:event" protocol documented in JEP-0022; the
reasoning is presented in Section 1 of JEP-0085. However, some think
that JEP-0085 doesn't solve any problem that JEP-0022 solves, and that
everyone has implemented it already, so why develop something new? [5]
Others have stated that they think chat state notifications are an
improvement over message events. [6]

So opinion seems to be divided. During this Last Call, it would be good
to hear specific comments and suggestions from those who think that
getting rid of JEP-0022 and replacing it with JEP-0085 is (1) a good
idea or (2) a bad idea. (Those who think that this is another instance
of despotic behavior by stpeter are free to voice their opinions but
I'd appreciate it if you could start a separate thread.)

Because this topic may generate some controversy (hopefully more light
than heat), I am allotting three weeks for the Last Call. Thus the Last
Call begins today and ends at the close of business on February 4.

Post early, post often.

Thanks!

Peter

[1] http://mailman.jabber.org/pipermail/members/2004-January/002778.html