[standards-jig] In-Band Registration and DoS protection

Thomas Muldowney temas at box5.net
Wed Jan 14 21:23:23 UTC 2004

On Jan 3, 2004, at 9:05 AM, Tomasz Sterna wrote:

> I've implemented this features via a web-based registration, but that
> is
> not what the user expects. There is the tradition that all IM-things
> should be done via the client software.

Really?  A lot of the other networks use web based interfaces to sign
up for user accounts.  I would say (and I think Julian would as well)
that the web interface is much more intuitive to the user.

To the rest of your issues, yet more that argues for a different method
of registering, but at the same time a component, or the server itself,
could have some methods built in to stop a DoS or other misuse of
registration.

--temas