[standards-jig] LAST CALL: JEP-0085 (Chat State Notifications)

Nathan Walp faceprint at faceprint.com
Wed Jan 14 21:39:05 UTC 2004

I won't comment on how good or bad an idea it is to replace 0022 with
0085.  I haven't decided yet.  However, if 0085 is to be accepted,
consider the following:

"Romeo realizes his reply is too rash and pauses to choose the right
words; after some (configurable) time period, his Jabber client senses
the delay and reverts to a state of Active."

As long as we're making new protocols, is there any objection to adding
a separate state for this event?  I guess "Paused" would be a good name
for it.   The state chart would look something like:

                  o (start)

INACTIVE <----> ACTIVE <----> COMPOSING <----> PAUSED
    |             |              |               |
    |             |              |               |
    |             |              |               |
    +---------> GONE <-----------+---------------+

                  o (end)

AIM chats have a similar state, for when the user has typed something,
but paused.

On another note, while looking at the state chart, I see no way for a
conversation in a state of "COMPOSING" to move to a state of INACTIVE
directly, i.e. the user typed something, and then minimized the window.
I think the transition between the two should be clear (another line on
the chart, perhaps).  If the "PAUSED" concept is acceptable, there needs
to be a defined transition to (and from) "INACTIVE" for it as well.

That's my $0.02 or so, at least for the moment.
Nathan