[standards-jig] My IP Address

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Thu Jan 15 00:39:41 UTC 2004

On Saturday 03 January 2004 03:53 am, Tomasz Sterna wrote:
> Justin Karneges:
> > I would like the ability to ask the Jabber server for my own IP address,
> > as it is the easiest way to discover what my 'real' IP address is if I am
> > behind NAT.
>
> I cannot hold back to ask: Why would You need that?

It would make it easier to handle port-forwarding when the client is behind a
firewall/NAT, particularly when the external IP address is dynamic.  This is
demonstrated today by the other IM protocols (such as ICQ) that implement
this already.

The dissenters of this approach claim that accessing the external IP address
through the server is a mad hack -- mainly that it wouldn't work in all
network conditions and that XMPP has no business providing this information.

However, the only alternative that I am aware of is for the client to hit an
external server to retrieve this information.  This is by far a worse hack as
it has the same potential drawbacks as the integrated approach and then some
(won't always work in an intranet, not scalable, not reliable, someone
external to the jabber installation has to run it (costs $$$), harder to
code, etc ).

-Justin