[standards-jig] In-Band Registration and DoS protection

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Thu Jan 15 22:27:56 UTC 2004

On Thursday 15 January 2004 11:16 am, Julian Missig wrote:
> On 15 Jan, 2004, at 13:51, Matthias Wimmer wrote:
> > Hi Julian!
> >
> > Julian Missig schrieb am 2004-01-15 13:39:20:
> >> A single page to go to to register for any Jabber server would also
> >> help Jabber's image with the general public--it will feel more
> >> centralized and friendly to use any server.
> >
> > I guess our users like Jabber because it is NOT centralized!
>
> This centralizes one aspect of registration, and even then only if the
> user chooses to use jabber.org's registration page--the code would be
> open source so each server which has a web site could have one--they
> can even translate it or modify it appropriately! The point is to make
> it easy for the users to have just one place to register with any
> server, not to centralize Jabber.
>
> And guess what, there are a lot of people in the world who are not yet
> Jabber users. This would make it easier on them.

The problem is that IBR is so far removed from the admin, the community, and
whatever else is associated with that particular Jabber server, that the
person registering can't make an informed decision about that server.  This
is why we have so many users 'server hopping' all the time.  A website would
make everything much more welcoming.  That said, no other major internet
protocol (ftp, ssh, pop3, smtp, etc) supports IBR, and this has never been
perceived as a deficiency.  Not only that, but most administrators (even of
public/free hosts) would consider the notion of IBR in these protocols to be
frightening.  In theory, IM should be no different.

There are services that offer free email or free shell accounts, I'm sure you
all have seen them.  They have a nice website detailing their services, and
you can register via the website.  Maybe there is an email confirmation.
Once finished, you can use pop3 / telnet / etc.  Services with mediocre
websites will probably not get many registrations.

I think a proper web front-end is a _necessity_ for public Jabber servers.
People need information about the server, an administration contact, and a
sense that the host isn't going to disappear overnight.  A website can give
this to them.  With that in mind, the state of public Jabber is disgraceful.
At least some hosts are on the right track by providing a decent webpage with
community updates: amessage.de, myjabber.net.

-Justin