[standards-jig] thoughts on a new idle protocol

Bob Wyman bob at wyman.us
Sat Jan 17 23:49:03 UTC 2004

Nathan Walp wrote:
> For clients (like Gaim) that display idle time in the
> buddy list (either directly, or indirectly, such as by
> dimming the entry), polling all the users in the buddy
> list isn't an acceptable solution.
    I don't understand why it is necessary to define a new
push protocol for this specific application or even to extend
the existing presence stuff. I think it would make a great
deal more sense to simply use the Jabber PubSub mechanism
defined in JEP-0060. This sort of application is *exactly*
what PubSub is good for!!!
    If you squeeze this into presence, then you're going to
also have to specify mechanisms which can be used to
determine whether or not a client *wants* the idle
information. Just because Gaim may want it, or just because
you may be willing to send it, shouldn't force all clients to
have to accept it. Clients should be given as much control as
possible over how much traffic is sent to them. (For
instance, if I'm using my handheld PDA, I might not want to
burn bandwidth or bytes by receiving your idle messages...)
However, using the PubSub JEP, we already have a mechanism
which can be used by a client to indicate what data it wants
pushed to it. Use what we've got...

       bob wyman